- Site safety and Personal Protective Equipment
- Environmental and legal requirements
- Felling, de-limbing and snedding trees up to 760mm in diameter
- Take down of hung up trees using hand winches
- Conversion and cross-cutting
- Use of felling and timber handling aids
PROTECTIVE CLOTHING, SAWS AND ACCESSORIES REQUIRED FOR GROUND BASED CHAINSAW TRAINING COURSES:
The following items of equipment and clothing are required when attending chainsaw courses.
- Chainsaw in good working condition with guide bar no longer than 380mm and to relevant safety criteria - see HSE chainsaws at work INDG 317 NB. Top-handled saws are not acceptable on ground based courses.
- Supply of chain lubricating oil.
- 2-stroke mixture fuel (unleaded).
- Clean filter funnel
- Full tool kit for chainsaw maintenance including appropriate file for the chain size being used
- Combination spanner
- Felling lever, large or small with cant hook
- Small plastic wedges
- Hand cleaning materials
- Any chainsaw boots or wellingtons which are Class 1-3 are acceptable for chainsaw courses. NB. Chainsaw wellingtons however are not suitable for aerial tree work.
- Safety helmet complete with ear defenders and visor (in date)
- Chainsaw safety gloves - class 0
- Chainsaw protective trousers with special safety fabric (type c or b) - type c is recommended for beginners because it offers 360 degree all round leg protection
- Jackets and overalls to be made of non-snagging fabric with no cuffs, belts, flaps etc.
- Chainsaw safety jacket (optional) NB. Spats are not acceptable
- Waterproof, clothing and spare clothing for the end of the day
- First aid kit with large wound dressing
- Gloves for carrying out maintenance
Course - notes
Trainees will be required to bring their own saw, tools, fuel and protective clothing and boots.